Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Broken Spoke and Sunday Rainout :(

Ever since the weather started cooling off I’ve been trying to get out for rides of longer time or distance. My big plans for this weekend were 10 miles on Friday night, 20ish on Saturday and another 10 to 15 on Sunday. I almost got in my 10 on Friday and then *ping!*

I should have known better but I set out Friday evening on my ride with a 25+ pound pack on my back. At the first set of railroad tracks I took it easy. The second set were fairly level and even. I forgot about how bad the third set was. I hit it at about 17mph and *ping,* wobwobwob*rub*wobwobwob*rub.*

You may be familiar with the sound. The sound of a spoke giving up and your wheel going out of round and the rim dragging on the brake shoes. I pulled over and loosened the rear brake caliper to allow the wheel to freely rotate and check to see if it is hitting the frame. Clears on both and only another two or so miles to my stopping point. Only have to make it that far and then I can borrow a truck, take the bike in and get it looked over.

Wake up to an awesome Saturday. Gonna get this bike fixed like a boss and go ride. Get to the LBS and I’m greeted with:

“Broke another spoke?”

How do they know these things? Then I get the “bad news.” They have the parts but no one to fix it at the moment. Worse news is that it’s going to be $50+ dollars to change a spoke.

*rageface*

I bought two spokes and a rim strip for $5 and left. Will not be riding on Saturday.

Saturday night I sat on the back porch drinking wine, eating chips and salsa and reading “The Art Of Wheelbuilding.” Around midnight I felt the sprinkles of rain. It’s cool, it will pass.

Wake up Sunday morning to Facebook flipping out: “zOMG my power is out,” “meeee tooooo.” It’s still sprinkling. Go out to walk the dogs; downpour. FML. Walk the dogs in the rain. Twice.

Not going to get to ride today, but at least I have a friend that’s a bike mechanic and for a few beers will spoke me up.

TL;DR I rambled on about nothing. I broke a spoke and I’m getting it fixed today. There was rain. I walked the dogs in it. Also, wine, chips, salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment